|AKADEMİK DENEYİM2011-Present Professor, Yeditepe University, Department of Genetics and Bioengineering, Istanbul, Turkey
2005- 2011 Associate Professor, Yeditepe University, Department of Genetics and Bioengineering, Istanbul, Turkey
2004- 2005 Assistant Professor, Yeditepe University, Department of Genetics and Bioengineering, Istanbul, Turkey
2003-2004 Investigator, Schering-Plough Corporation, Global Quality Services-Analytical Sciences, Implementation of New Technology Department, Union, NJ, USA
2002-2003 Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Advanced Biomedical Science & Technology Group, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, USA
1997-2002 Research/ Teaching Assistant, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA
1995-1997 Research Assistant, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
- Turkish Ministry of Education Fellowship
- Tuition Only Scholarship, Wake Forest University, NC, 1996
- Teaching Assistantship, University of Tennessee-Knoxville, TN, 2001-2002
- Sigma Xi Honor Society Research Presentation Competition, UTK Chapter, 2nd Place, 2002
Proposal Evaluation Panels for The Scientific and Technological Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), European Commission - The Seventh Framework Programme (FP7), Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF), Czech Science Foundation, Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology and National Institute of Health (NIH).
Applied Spectroscopy, Editorial Board, Associate Editor
Journal of Nanotechology, Editor for Special Issue, Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering
- American Chemical Society
- SPIE-International Society for Optical Engineering
61- Sonay, A.Y., Culha, M. DNA-mediated self-assembly of single-walled carbon nanotubes into nanorings Small 9 (12) , pp. 2059-2063, 2013.
60- Efeoglu, E., Culha, M. In situ-monitoring of biofilm formation by using surface-enhanced raman scattering Applied Spectroscopy 67 (5) , pp. 498-505, 2013.
59- Culha, M. Surface-enhanced Raman scattering: An emerging label-free detection and identification technique for proteins Applied Spectroscopy 67 (4), pp. 355-364, 2013
58- Yükselici, H., Allahverdi, C., Aşikoǧlu, A., Ünlü, H., Baysal, A., Çulha, M., Ince, R., (...), Athalin, H. “Optical studies of semiconductor Quantum Dots” NanoScience and Technology 77, pp. 101-117, 2013
57- Ayaksiz Ozturk, S., Kelestemur, S., Culha, M. “Influence of oligonucleotide interaction on electronic properties of single walled carbon nanotubes” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, 44 (2), pp. 183-189, 2013.
56- Mehmet Kahraman, Semih Cakmakyapan, Ekmel Ozbay, and Mustafa Culha “An array of surface-enhanced Raman scattering substrates based on plasmonic lenses” Annalen der Physik 524 (11) , pp. 663-669, 2012.
55- Sur, I., Altunbek, M., Kahraman, M., Culha, M. “The influence of the surface chemistry of silver nanoparticles on cell death” Nanotechnology 23 (37), art. no. 375102, 2012
54- Sercan Keskin and Mustafa Çulha “Label-Free Detection of Proteins from Dried-Suspended Droplets Using Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering”, Analyst, Analyst 137 (11), pp. 2651-2657, 2012.
53- Çulha, M., Keskin, S., "Surface-enhanced Raman scattering for label-free protein detection and identification," Proceedings of SPIE Vol. 8234, 823407, 2012.
52- Mustafa Culha, Brian M. Cullum, Nickolay Lavrik, and Charles Klutse “Surface-enhanced Raman Scattering As an Emerging Characterization and Detection Technique”, Journal of Nanotechnology, art. no. 971380, 2012.
51- Ali Yasin Sonay, Kemal Keseroğlu, Mustafa Culha “2D Gold Nanoparticle Structures Engineered Through DNA Tiles for Delivery and Therapy” Nano Biomedicine and Engineering, Vol 4, No 1, 2012.
50- Çulha, M., Yazici, M.M., Kahraman, M., Şahin, F., Kocagöz, S. “Surface-enhanced Raman scattering of bacteria in microwells constructed from silver nanoparticles” Journal of Nanotechnology , art. no. 297560, 2012.
49- Konnova, S.A., Kahraman, M., Zamaleeva, A.I., Culha, M., Paunov, V.N., Fakhrullin, R.F. “Functional artificial free-standing yeast biofilms” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 88 (2), pp. 656-663, 2011.
48- A.Y. Sonay, A. B. Caglayan and M. Culha, ''Synthesis of Peptide Mediated Au Core-Ag Shell Nanoparticles as Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering Labels'', Plasmonics, DOI: 10.1007/s11468-011-9278-4, 2011.
47- K. Keseroglu, M. Culha, “Assembly of nanoparticles at the contact line of a drying droplet under the influence of a dipped tip”, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 360, No. 1, pp. 8-14, 2011.
46-Kahraman, M; Keseroglu, K; Culha, M “On Sample Preparation for Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS) of Bacteria and the Source of Spectral Features of the Spectra” Applied Spectroscopy 65(5) 500-506, 2011.
45-Çulha, M.; Altunbek, M.; Keskin, S.; Saatçi, D. “Manipulation of silver nanoparticles in a droplet for label-free detection of biological molecules using surface-enhanced Raman scattering” SPIE Proceedings Vol. 7911, Plasmonics in Biology and Medicine VII, 2011.
44-Gunduz, S.; Akman, S.; Baysal, A.; Culha, M. “The use of gold nanoparticles as an effective modifier for the determination of arsenic and antimony by electrothermal atomic absorption spectrometry” Microchimica Acta 172 (3-4), pp. 403-407, 2011.
43-Shakhmaeva II, Bulatov ER, Bondar OV, Saifullina DV, Culha M, Rizvanov AA, Abdullin TI “Binding and purification of plasmid DNA using multi-layered carbon nanotubes” Journal of Biotechnology 152(3) 102-107, 2011.
42-S. Keskin; M. Kahraman; M.Çulha “Differential separation of protein mixtures using convective assembly and label-free detection with surface enhanced Raman scattering” Chemical Communications 47 (12), pp. 3424-3426, 2011.
41- M. Kahraman; I. Sur; M. Culha “Label free detection of proteins from self-assembled protein-silver nanoparticle structures using surface enhanced Raman scattering”
Analytical Chemistry, 82 (18), pp. 7596-7602, 2010.
40- M. Altas; O. F. Bayrak; A. Cerci; N. Isik; M. Celik; M Culha; F. Sahin; I. Elmaci “Angiotensin-converting enzyme insertion/deletion gene polymorphism in patients with familial multiple cerebral cavernous malformations” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, 17(8), 1034-1037, 2010.
39- M. Altas; O.F. Bayrak; E. Ayan; F Bolukbasi; G. Silav; K.K. Coskun; M. Culha; F. Sahin,S. Sevli; I. Elmaci “The effect of polymorphisms in the promoter region of the MMP-1 gene on the occurrence and invasiveness of hypophyseal adenoma” Acta Neurochirurgica 152(9), 1611-1617, 2010.
38- I. Sur; D. Cam; M. Kahraman; A. Baysal; M. Culha “Interaction of multi-functional silver nanoparticles with living cells” Nanotechnology, 21 (17), Article Number: 175104, 2010.
37- M. Culha; M. Kahraman; D. Çam; I. Sayin; K. Keseroglu “Rapid identification of bacteria and yeast using surface-enhanced Raman scattering” Surface and Interface Analysis, DOI: 10.1002/sia.3256, 2010.
36- T.I. Abdullin, O.V. Bondar, Yu.G. Shtyrlin, M. Kahraman, M. Culha, “Pluronic block copolymer-mediated interactions of organic compounds with noble metal nanoparticles for SERS analysis” Langmuir, 26(7), 5153-5159 2010.
35- T. Ozdemir, D. Sandal, M. Culha, A. Sanyal, N.Z. Atay, S. Bucak “Assembly of magnetic nanoparticles into higher structures on patterned magnetic beads under the influence of magnetic field” Nanotechnology, 21(12), Article Number: 125603, 2010.
34- D. Cam, K. Keseroglu, M. Kahraman, F. Sahin, M. Culha, “Multiplex Identification of Bacteria in Bacterial Mixtures with Surface-enhanced Raman scattering” J. Raman Spectroscopy DOI: 10.1002/jrs.2475, 2010.
32- M. Kahraman, A. I. Zamaleeva, R. F. Fakhrullin, M. Culha, “Layer-by-Layer Coating of Bacteria with Noble Metal Nanoparticles for Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 395(8), 2559-2567, 2009.
31- M. Kahraman, Ö. Aydın, M. Çulha, “Oligonucleotide Mediated Ag- Au Core-Shell Nanoparticles” Plasmonics, 4(4), 293-301, 2009.
30- I. Sayin, M. Kahraman, F. Sahin, D. Yurdakul, M. Culha, “Characterization of Yeast Using Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering” Applied Spectroscopy, 63(11), 1276-1282, 2009.
29- O. Aydın, M. Altaş, M. Kahraman, O. F. Bayrak, M. Çulha, “Differentiation of Healthy Brain Tissue and Tumors Using Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering” Applied Spectroscopy, 63(10), 1095-1100, 2009.
28- Ö. Aydın, M. Kahraman, E. Kılıç, M. Çulha, “Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering of Rat Tissues” Applied Spectroscopy, 63(6), 662-668, 2009.
27- T.I. Abdullin, O. V. Bondar, I. I. Nikitina, E.R. Bulatov, M.V. Morozov, A.K. Hilmutdinov, M.K. Salakhov, M. Culha “Effect of size and protein environment on electrochemical properties of gold nanoparticles on carbon electrodes” Bioelectrochemistry, 77(1) 37-42, 2009.
26- M. Culha, Ö. F. Karatas, Ö. Aydın, M. Kahraman, K. Keseroglu, İ. Sayin, Ö. F. Bayrak “Towards PCR-free Mutation Detection Based on Surface-enhanced Raman Scattering” Proc. SPIE Vol. 7192, 719205, 2009.
25- Ö.F. Karatas, E. Sezgin, Ö. Aydın, M. Culha “Interaction of Gold Nanoparticles with Mitochondria” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 71(2), 315-318, 2009.
24- R. F. Fakhrullin, A. I. Zamaleeva, M. V. Morozov, D. I. Tazetdinova, F. K. Alimova, A. K. Hilmutdinov, R. I. Zhdanov, M. Kahraman, M. Culha “Living fungi cells encapsulated in polyelectrolyte shells doped with metal nanoparticles”, Langmuir, 25(8), 4628-4634, 2009.
23- M. Kahraman, Ö. Aydın, M. Çulha, “Size Effect of 3D Aggregates Assembled from Silver Nanoparticles on Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering”, ChemPhysChem., 10(3), 537-542, 2009.
22- T. I. Abdullin, O. V. Bondar, I. I. Nikitina, E. R. Bulatov, M. V. Morozov, A. Kh. Hilmutdinov, M. Kh. Salakhov, M. Çulha "Effect of size and protein environment on electrochemical properties of gold nanoparticles on carbon electrodes", Bioelectrochemistry, 77(1), 37-42, 2009.
21- E. Sezgin, Ö. F. Karataş, D. Çam, I. Sur, I. Sayın, E. Avcı, K. Keseroğlu, S. Sülek, M. Çulha, Interection of Gold Nanoparticles with Cells” Sigma, 26, 227-246 2008.
20- M. Çulha, A. Adiguzel, M. M. Yazici, M. Kahraman, F. Sahin, M. Gulluce, Characterization of Thermophilic Bacteria Using Surface-enhanced Raman Scattering” Applied Spectroscopy, 62(11), 1226-1232, 2008.
19- Mustafa Çulha, Mehmet Kahraman, Nilgün Tokman, Güler Türkoğlu “Surface-enhanced Raman Scattering on Aggregates of Silver Nanoparticles with Definite Size” J. of Physical Chem. C, 112 (28), 10338-10343, 2008.
18- Mehmet Kahraman, Nilgün Tokman, Mustafa Çulha “Silver Nanoparticle Thin Films with Nanocavities for Surface-enhanced Raman Scattering” ChemPhysChem. 9(6):902-10, 2008.
17- Mehmet Kahraman, M. Müge Yazici, Fikrettin Sahin, Mustafa Çulha “Convective-Assembly of Bacteria for Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering” Langmuir. 24(3), 894-901, 2008.
16- Mehmet Kahraman, M. Müge Yazici, Fikrettin Sahin, Mustafa Çulha, “Experimental Parameters Influencing Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering of Bacteria” J. of Biomedical Optics ((September/October, 2007).
15- M. Kahraman, M. M. Yazici, F. Sahin, Ö. F. Bayrak, E. Topçu, M. Çulha, “Towards Single Microorganism Detection using Surface-enhanced Raman Spectroscopy”, International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry, 87 (10-11), 763-770, 2007.
14- Mehmet Kahraman, M. Müge Yazici, Fikrettin Sahin, Ömer F. Bayrak, Mustafa Çulha, “Reproducible Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering Spectra of Bacteria on Aggregated Silver Nanoparticles” Applied Spectroscopy, 61(5), 479-485, 2007.
13- Joon Myong Song, Mustafa Culha, Paul M. Kasili, Guy D. Griffin and Tuan Vo-Dinh, “A compact CMOS biochip immunosensor towards the detection of a single bacteria” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Volume 20, Issue 11, 2005, 2203-2209.
11- Mustafa Culha, David L. Stokes, Guy D. Griffin, Tuan Vo-Dinh, “Screening Breast Cancer (BRCA1) Gene Using a Biochip System and Molecular Beacon Probes Immobilized on Solid Surfaces”, Journal of Biomedical Optics, 9(3) 439-443, 2004.
10- Mustafa Culha, David L. Stokes, Guy D. Griffin, Tuan Vo-Dinh, “Application of a Miniature Biochip Using the Molecular Beacon Probe in Breast Cancer Gene BRCA1 Detection”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 19(9), 1007-1012, 2004.
9- Mustafa Culha, Fred M. Schell, Shannon Fox, Thomas Green, Thomas Betts and Michael J. Sepaniak, " Evaluation of newly synthesized and commercially available charged cyclomaltooligosaccharides (cyclodextrins) for capillary electrokinetic chromatography" Carbohydrate Research, 339 (2), 241-249, 2004.
8- Mustafa Culha, David L. Stokes, Leonardo R. Allain, Tuan Vo-Dinh, “Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering Substrate Based on a Self-Assembled Monolayer for Use in Gene Diagnostics”, Analytical Chemistry, 75(22), 6196 – 6201, 2003.
7- Mustafa Culha, Nickolay Lavrik, Fred M. Schell, Michael J. Sepaniak, “Characterization and evaluation of hydrophobic cyclodextrin derivatives as thin film coatings for sensor applications”, Sensors & Actuators-Chemical, 92 (1-2), 171-180, 2003.
6- Mustafa Culha, David L. Stokes, Tuan Vo-Dinh, “Surface-enhanced Raman scattering for cancer diagnostics: detection of the BCL2 gene” Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics, 3(5), 669–675, 2003.
5- Christopher A. Tipple, Nickolay Lavrik, Mustafa Culha, Panos Datskos, and Michael J. Sepaniak. “Nanostructured microcantilvers with functionalized cyclodextrin receptor phases: Self-assembled monolayers and vapor deposited films”. Analytical Chemistry, 74 (13), 3118-3126, 2002
4- S. Fox, M.Culha and M.J. Sepaniak, "Development of a Grid Search Molecular Mechanics Modeling Strategy to Study Elution Behavior in Cyclodextrin Modified Capillary Electrophorsis", J. Liq. Chromatogr., 24(9), 1209-1228, 2001.
3- Yasuzo Suziki, Frank H. Quina, Alan Berthod, Ronald W. Williams, Mustafa Culha, Imdad Ullah Mohammadzai, and Willie L. Hinze. “Preparation and characterization of covalently bound micelle-mimetic ionene polyelectrolyte-silica gel stationary phases for chromatographic separations” Analytical Chemistry, 73 (8), 1754-1765, 2001.
2- M. Culha, S. B. Fox, and M. J. Sepaniak, "Selectivity in Capillary Electrochromatography Using Native and Single Isomer Anionic Cyclodextrin Reagents", Analytical Chemistry, 72, 88-95, 2000.
1- Dilip K. Kondepudi, Mustafa Culha "Chiral Interaction and Stochastic Kinetics in Stirred Crystallization of Amino Acids" Chirality,10, 238-245, 1998.
- Kalay S, Yilmaz Z, Culha M. Synthesis of boron nitride nanotubes from unprocessed colemanite.Beilstein J Nanotechnol. 2013 Dec 4;4:843-51.
- Mustafa Culha, “Surface-Raman Scattering for Medical Applications”Chapter in Biomedical nanosensors, Pan Stanford Publishing, Boca Raton, FL, USA, (Ed: Joseph Irudayaraj), 2012.
- Mustafa Çulha, Mehmet Kahraman, Ömer Faruk Karataş, Ömer Aydın “Nanoplasmonics in Biosensing and Nanobiomedicine”Chapter in Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, American Scientific Publishers, California USA, (Ed:H. S. Nalwa), 2011.
- Mustafa Çulha, Chapter “Assembly of Nanostructures” inRecent Advances in Nanoscience and Technology, 53-65., Sunil Kumar Bajpai / Murali Mohan Yallapu (Eds.) Bentham Science Publishers Ltd., 2009.
- Musundi B. Wabuyele, Mustafa Culha, Guy D. Griffin, Pierre Vialletand Tuan Vo-Dinh, “Protein Nanotechnology: Protocols, Instrumentation, and Applications, Chapter: Near-Field Scanning Optical Microscopy for Bioanalysis at Nanometer Resolution”, February 2005 , Volume:300 , pp. 437-452, Humana Press.
SEÇİLMİŞ SÖZLÜ SUNUMLAR
- A Microorganism Identification Method Based on Surface-enhanced Raman scattering, 2007-G 85368.
- A Nanoparticle Aggregation Method, 2007-G-225560
- A Tissue Differentiation Method Based on Surface-enhanced Raman scattering, 2008/02195 (US Patent No: US8435753 B2)
- Synthesis of Oligonucleotide Madiated Au-Ag Core-Shell Nanoparticles, 2009/ 090309
- A Production Method for the Boron Nitride Nanotubes, PCT/IB2013/054883
Mustafa Culha, L.eonardo R. Allain David .L. Stokes, and Tuan Vo-Dinh,
“Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS) For Chemical and Biomedical Diagnosis” The Pittsburgh Conference,
- Mustafa Culha Neuroengineering Seminar, Nanoplasmonics in biomedical sciences and medicine, University of California at San Diego, January 23, 2012
- Mustafa Çulha; Mine Altunbek; Sercan Keskin; Deniz Saatçi “Manipulation of silver nanoparticles in a droplet for label-free detection of biological molecules using surface-enhanced Raman scattering” Photonics West, San Francisco, USA, Jan 22-27, 2011.
- Mustafa Culha, Ali Yasin Sonay, Burak Caglayan, Mehmet Kahraman, “Synthesis of Biomacromolecule Mediated Ag Au Core-Shell Nanoparticles and their Performance as SERS Labels” The Pittsburgh Conference, Atlanta, GA, USA, March 14 - 17, 2011.
- M. Culha “Surface-enhanced Raman scattering of microorganisms” 22nd International Conference on Raman Spectroscopy, ICORS 2010; Boston, MA; 8-13 August 2010, AIP Conference Proceedings 1267, pp. 86-87 2010.
- M. Culha, M. Kahraman, D. Çam, İ. Sayın, K. Keseroğlu “Fast Identification of Bacteria and Yeast Using Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering” “13th European Conference on Applications of Surface and Interface Analysis” Antalya, Turkey October 18-23, 2009.
- Mustafa Çulha, Rawil F. Fakhrullin, Alsu I. Zamaleeva, Mehmet Kahraman, Dilek Gelen, Dilek Çam, Fikrettin Şahin, Merve Yüksel, “Engineering of gold and Silver nanoparticles into bacterial cell wall” Nanotech Europe, Berlin, Germany, September 28-30, 2009.
- Mustafa Çulha, Mehmet Kahraman, Fikrettin Şahin, “21st Century Challenge for Spectroscopist: Is the Nanotechnology the Solution” NanoMats, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey, August 10-13, 2009.
- M. Culha, M. Kahraman, O. Aydin, O. F. Karatas, D. Sandal, F. Sahin, “Multiplex Identification of Bacteria Using Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering” The Pittsburgh Conference, Chicago, March 8-13, 2009.
- M Culha, O. F. Karatas, O. Aydin, M. Kahraman, K. Keseroğlu, I. Sayin, O. F. Bayrak “Towards PCR-free Mutation Detection Based on Surface-enhanced Raman Scattering” SPIE Photonics West, San Jose Convention Center, San Jose, California, USA January 24-29, 2009.
- M. Culha, Omer F. Karatas, O. Aydin, M. Kahraman, O. F. Bayrak, “A Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Screening Method Based on Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering,” FACSS, Reno, NV, September 28 - October 2, 2008.
- M. Culha, M. Kahraman, G. Turkoglu, M. M. Yazici, E Sezgin, O. F. Bayrak., “Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering of Mitochondria for Diagnosis and Disease Progression,” The Pittsburgh Conference, New Orleans, March 2-7, 2008.
- Mustafa Çulha, "Surface-enhanced Raman Scattering: A powerful Tool for Probing Biomolecules and Biological Structures", Bio-interface International Workshop" EC Joint Research Centre, Ispra, Italy, 5-7 December 2007.
- Mustafa Çulha, “The use of nanoparticles as a new tool for gene delivery” Gene Theraphy Symposium, Yeditepe Univeristy, Istanbul, November 2-3, 2007.
- M. Culha, M. Kahraman, M.M. Yazici and F. Sahin, Utilizing Silver and Gold Nanoparticles for Investigation of Bacterial Cell Wall Biochemical Structure, Nanotech, BioNano, Nano Investor Summit & Cleantech 2007, Santa Clara, CA, USA, May 20-24, 2007.
- M. Çulha, M. Kahraman, M. M. Yazıcı, F. Şahin “Probing Bacteria Cell wall with Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy, 58th Pittsburgh Conference on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy, Chicago, IL, USA, Feb.25-March 2, 2007.
- M. Çulha, M. Kahraman, E. Topcu, M. M. Yazıcı, F. Şahin, Ö. F. Bayrak, “Towards Single Microorganism Detection Using Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy”, The 7th Workshop on Biosensors and Bioanalytical µ-Techniques in Environmental and Clinical Analysis, Kusadasi, Izmir, Turkiye, September 10-14, 2006.
- Mustafa Culha, David .L. Stokes, and Tuan Vo-Dinh Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering Based Substrates for Biomedical Diagnosis, IX. Ulusal Spektroskopi Kongresi, Ankara, Turkiye, 2005.
- Orlando, FL, March 9-14, 2003.
- Mustafa Culha, Nickolay Lavrik, Fred M. Schell, Michael J. Sepaniak,“Characterization and evaluation of hydrophobic cyclodextrin derivatives as thin film coatings for sensor applications”, 223rd ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Orlando, FL, April 7-11, 2002.
- Mustafa Culha, Marco De Jesus, Shannon B. Fox, Michael J. Sepaniak, “Synthesis and Characterization of New Group of Highly Charged Single-Isomer Cyclodextrins for Capillary Electrophoretic Separations.” The Pittsburgh Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 4-9, 2001.